Today’s Gelli Plate print was created with various craft and artist acrylic colors and some of my homemade masks. I cut out a bunch of freeform stencils from old file folders to use in the layering paint process. The fossil looking on the left top area was actually created with a hot glue gun–melted glue drawn onto a scrap piece of cardboard and allowed to dry. It’s a great impression stamp, and although I’ve made several glue stamp plates, this design seems to be one of my favorites. The center image was an actual leaf from one of my garden specimens (an added bonus to living in Florida–year round nature specimens!). Although it didn’t pick up the veins, I liked the resulting bold silhouette. The black inkblot section was created by fingerpainting with my gloved finger so as to have a more free-form color block instead of rolling it smooth with a brayer.
After a printing session, the best part is sitting in the family room sorting through the art prints of the day. As usual, they get a few added embellishments with colored pencils and any other mark making tools that are within reach–apparently I cannot help myself–always interested in the details that I can place into the layers . I’m looking forward to tonight’s creation.